Do you have the desire to do something creative today? Do you want to paint but feel like it would be a big ordeal to get out the paints? Are your supplies low? Do think it will turn out badly? Should you do the laundry instead? For me the answers are always Yes. But recently my kids were painting and I had the quick motivation to paint something for my cousin, she was in town for scans. Butterflies have a special meaning to her so I pulled up an image I liked and sketched it as best I could on my kids’ watercolor paper.
It had been a long while since I tried to paint anything. So thank goodness things came back to me and I remembered to do the black paint last.
I was a little discouraged midway with all the blemishes and imperfections but I was having so much fun that soon I didn’t care if it was perfect or not.
When I was finished it felt so good that I realized:
- The only “Yes” I should listen to is to the question “Does creating art make you happy?”
- I can make-do with the art supplies in the cabinet, scrape up the last crumb of orange water color and make it work.
- My kids are happy and busy with art when I’m happy and busy with art.
- Once I started painting, I wanted to finish it and so I found the time.
- It doesn’t matter if it turns out badly, it’s just fun!
And if those realizations aren’t up your alley, here are other words that help me when I need a little encouragement: