Happy New Year! I’m so excited to start Peter Walsh’s #31Days2GetOrganized again! If you’re not sure what I’m talking about, read here: where I started and here: how I continued. This will be my 4th set of 31 challenges which means I’m starting with my 94th challenge. Can you believe I still have too much stuff and want to declutter more?! I would love it if you started with me and the other thousands on his Facebook Page. It’s easier to let go of stuff and get a healthier home when you’re doing it with people all over the country, at the same time! Here’s a look at the first challenge:
This is everything that left my house after my second set of 31 challenges. This year I want to have even more leave my house so I’m going to buy 5 large boxes tomorrow. We are going to be moving soon and most likely we’ll be having a big garage sale and I don’t want to be looking at pile like this for a whole month.
If you’re reading this and thinking I wish… but… Here are a few of my thoughts:
1. One person can make a big difference. You might think you need your whole household on board to declutter and clean things up but you don’t. One person, little by little, can create a healthier home. This is true with attitude and cleanliness.
2. Don’t worry about the WHY. TODAY it doesn’t matter why, how, who’s fault it is that there’s too much stuff. No shaming yourself or anyone else is allowed! TODAY you want it to change, that’s all that matters. The WHY can be conquered when your mind is free and clear of the clutter around you.
3. If you think “there’s no use” because it’s just going to get messy again… This might be the perfectionist in you leading to procrastination. So this month, let go of that, DONE is better than perfect.
4. Create a “no impulse buy” rule for shopping. If you didn’t go to the store for it, don’t buy it. For me, I try to make myself wait a week before I can go back to the store to buy something I saw. Usually by then, I’ve stopped obsessing and I don’t want it anymore.
5. If you have a hard time letting go of things and you get emotionally attached, remember this: “People are more important than things” and “people are not IN things.” (I believe I just quoted my very good friend here.) Also, believe there will always be enough, give to those in need. Would you rather be generous or stingy?
6. Go see the movie JOY and get inspired for your life!